Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Under Duress



Scene 1: A restaurant. Two patrons sit at a table with their menus open.

WAITER
(takes a deep breath)
...finally, it's all locally grown.

PATRON
As in... Queens?

WAITER
No! No, no.

PATRON
Staten Island?

PATRON 2
Wait, is the Branzino local, too?

WAITER
All local.

PATRON
It’s what, from the Hudson?

WAITER
Mmhmm.

PATRON 2
Everywhere on the Hudson is polluted. The entire Hudson is polluted.

WAITER
I meant... what's the other river?

PATRON
THE GOWANUS?

WAITER
No!

PATRON
The Gowanus is a Superfund site. I don’t think fish can survive in the Gowanus.

PATRON 2
You know what, I don't think I want to eat here if the fish is from anywhere nearby.

WAITER
It's not local. The fish isn’t local.

PATRON 2
You just said it was.

WAITER
It's semi-local. From areas that are not at all polluted or urban or anything.

PATRON
Let's go.

WAITER
If you go I'll kill you.

(Beat.)

PATRON 2
I'm going to talk to Bruno about this person.

WAITER
Bruno isn't the manager anymore. He quit.

PATRON
He's right there.

WAITER
That's his twin. Wally.

PATRON 2
You’re threatening us. I can’t believe this.

WAITER
I did, yes.

PATRON
Tell Bruno this woman is attempting to hold us hostage.

WAITER
I'm not holding you hostage. I have no demands. Wait, yes I do. Yes, I am.
My demand is that you eat. And then tip me. Also have dessert.

PATRON 2
That's absurd--

WAITER
Or I'll choke her with my thumbs.

PATRON 2
Nonsense.

PATRON
Honey!

(Patron 2 sits slowly.)


Scene 2: A dinner party.

PATRON/HOST
Lilly? Are you alright?

GUEST
Hmm? Oh yes, I was just imagining what you meant by “under duress.”

PATRON
Pardon?

GUEST
You said you ate there under duress.

PATRON 2
Because the Stevensons insisted we try it.

PATRON
Anyway, the fish turned out to be delicious! Local really does make a difference, doesn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment