Monday, March 14, 2011

Her Body When She Died

Photo: Dreamstime


FRANKIE (a cop)
JOEY (another cop)

(A crime scene. Maybe it’s marked off by police tape.)


FRANKIE
Joey, come here.

JOEY
Yeah?

FRANKIE
(gesturing to the ground)
That look right to you?

                                                            (They both stare at the ground.)

JOEY
Nah.

FRANKIE
Me either.

                                                            (Beat.)

That look like that yesterday?

(Joey shakes his head.)

FRANKIE
Me either.

                                                            (Beat.)

FRANKIE
I feel like it was more like (mimics the shape of a body on the ground).

JOEY
You mean (mimics a different position).

FRANKIE
No way.

JOEY
I think so.

FRANKIE
No way!

JOEY
I think so!

FRANKIE
You sure?


JOEY
Nah.

(Beat.)

FRANKIE
It wasn’t like that.

JOEY
Nope.

FRANKIE
So that uh, means somebody musta come in here and redrawn it in the night.

JOEY
Musta.

FRANKIE
That’s no joke, buddy.

JOEY
Nope.

FRANKIE
That’s some serious offense, some serious tampering with evidence. That’s no joke, right there.

JOEY
Who ya think did it?

FRANKIE
Who do you think, genius? The murderer.

JOEY
Yeah, I guess.

FRANKIE
That’s the only person who’s got a reason to erase it and draw a new one.

JOEY
Yeah.

FRANKIE
But it was stupid, know why?

JOEY
Why.

FRANKIE
‘Cause now we’re onto him more than before.

JOEY
We were onto him?

FRANKIE
We were!…  Getting there! But now we’re even further ‘cause we know that however her body was when she died… that was indicative of who killed her. You follow?

JOEY
I follow.

FRANKIE
It’s like, before, we would pay attention but maybe not all that much attention, but now, it’s like the number one clue in the case.

JOEY
Yeah.

FRANKIE
I mean, if the murderer wants to do our work for us, up to him. We got real bright one on our hands, Joey.

JOEY
Why?

FRANKIE
I’m being sarcastic. He’s an idiot.

JOEY
Oh.

FRANKIE
So how was the body yesterday?

JOEY
I think it was like this (mimics again).

FRANKIE
That’s wrong.

JOEY
It’s not wrong, I don’t think, ‘cause I saw it like that.

FRANKIE
Joey, what the hell pose is that, that’s basically what the shape looks like now.

JOEY
No, it’s a little bit different, like the arm is a little lower than my arm is, see?

FRANKIE
If the difference were just a few inches of the arm why would the murderer comes in and redraw the whole thing! Sometimes I swear you got a pistachio for a brain.

JOEY
I was close, I think.

FRANKIE
Are you listening to a word I’m saying, Joey? That doesn’t make any sense! What’s wrong with you!

(Joey is crying.)

What’s wrong!

JOEY
I did it. I drew it.

(Frankie stares. Beat.)

I got here yesterday I had to move it real fast then I didn’t tell you after you got here because I felt bad because I remembered I wasn’t supposed to so I didn’t say, but really, it wasn’t like it was when you got here, like when I found it so I came here and drew it like it was when I found it.

FRANKIE
Why?

JOEY
I had to.

(Frankie stares. Beat.)

JOEY
You know, ‘cause of my thing.

FRANKIE
Oh, Christ.

JOEY
I had to. I’m sorry, I had to.

FRANKIE
What’s your OCD care about a dead body?

JOEY
It was bothering me.

FRANKIE
Couldn’t you just washed your hands fifty billion times or something? Christ, Joey.

JOEY
I had to move it. So I drew it the right way.

FRANKIE
What about the clicking thing, what happened to the clicking thing? Just do the counting down, that didn’t work? Did you try? That’s been working with the clicking thing, I haven’t seen you do that in a while, yeah?

(Beat.)

FRANKIE
So this—this is how the chick really was when you found her?

JOEY
I think. I’m not 100% sure because I moved it kind of a lot.

FRANKIE
How many times.

JOEY
99 times.

FRANKIE
I should kill you.

JOEY
I had to do like the (moving his own arms and legs to illustrate) arm, arm, leg, leg, arm, arm, leg, leg…

FRANKIE
Stop, Joe.

FRANKIE
Sorry.

FRANKIE
So you snuck back in here, when? In the middle of the night.

JOEY
Not really the middle, more like the end.

FRANKIE
You kill me. You do.

JOEY
I’m sorry.

FRANKIE
That doesn’t do much, hate to tell you.

JOEY
You gonna tell?

(Beat.)

FRANKIE
(starting to erase)
You shoulda done a better job of getting rid of these lines. You wanna get caught?




No comments:

Post a Comment