Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Screenplay

Un.org



RITA(20s)
ANTOINE (20s)
MURPHY (50s)
JACK (30s)
SMITH (30s)
CORREEN (40s)
RECEPTIONIST


(A conference room. Rita, Antoine, Murphy, Smith, and Jack sit in silence. They are waiting for someone to arrive or something to start. For several seconds, they sit in silence—checking watches, staring at the table. They are here to discuss a screenplay—everyone has a copy of it in front of him or her.)

ANTOINE
Maybe she got the wrong day or something.

JACK
She’s just five minutes late.

(Beat.)

JACK
Feel free to wait until she gets here to apologize.

ANTOINE
I said I was sorry.

JACK
You did.

RITA
If you want to say something to me, you can say it directly.  

JACK
I suppose that’s what we have an ombudsman for.

CORREN
(arriving)
Good morning! Sorry I’m a tad late!

JACK
No problem.

CORREEN
I’m Correeeeen, ombuuudsman, I think I know most of you… but let’s go around anyway. Name and position, please.

JACK
Jack, Manager in Press.

MURPHY
Murphy. Accounting.

RITA
Rita, legal services.

CORREEN
What do you do in legal services, Rita?

RITA
I’m a paralegal.

CORREEN
(writing)
Great, thanks.

ANTOINE
Antoine. IT.

SMITH
Smith. IT.

CORREEN
Is IT a position or a department?

(Beat.)

SMITH
Position.

CORREEN
Great! Okaaay! I assume you’re all here because you were either involved in (looks at Smith, Rita, and Antoine) or exposed to (the others) a certain document containing sensitive materials, is that correct?

(Beat.)

Can I see nods please?

RITA
There was nothing sensitive about it.

(Everyone else nods.)

CORREEN
Thank you! Now, I know some of us are not pleased. Raise your hand if you’re not pleased.

(Everyone but Rita raises hands. Jack is disgusted with Rita.)

CORREEN
My job is to change your attitudes by the end of today. You may still be displeased, but my hope is that those angry faces are flipped once we establish a little bit ‘o’ empathy. Who can define empathy?

(Jack raises his hand.)

CORREEN
(to Jack)
Yes.

JACK
Not writing a screenplay about your colleagues.

CORREEN
Okay, anyone else?

(Rita raises her hand.)

CORREEN
(to Rita)
Rita.

RITA
(looking at Smith)
Not passing around a screenplay that is none of your business to everybody at your company.

(Smith raises his hand.)

CORREEN
Okay, my turn. How about, imagining what it’s like to be in someone else’s shoes?

(Beat.)

Now I got you thinkin’! Rita and Antoine, why don’t you tell me what happened from your point of view.

RITA
Antoine and I wrote a script. It’s no big deal. It was our own project. Didn’t have anything to do with any of you.

JACK
Right.

MURPHY
Right!

RITA
Last week, Antoine printed it, but Smith got to the computer first and took it—

SMITH
It was sitting there forever.

RITA
And scanned it to a pdf, and emailed it to the goddamn world. It was a private document—

JACK
That’s BS.

RITA
It’s not BS.

JACK
See? Your character (he flips through pages in front of him), Jim, also says BS.

ANTOINE
So?

JACK
That alerts me even further to the fact that Jim is me!

CORREEN
Let’s allllll take a deep breath. Jack, why do you think Jim is you.

JACK
Well, let’s see, he’s a gay man.

ANTOINE
So are we all. Try again.

JACK
He says BS.

ANTOINE
Who doesn’t?

MURPHY
No one says that anymore.

ANTOINE
Shut up, Murphy.

JACK
There are also other… telling facts.

CORREEN
Can you identify those facts for us, please?

JACK
I prefer not to.

CORREEN
That’s fine. The point is, you were hurt by this character of Jim, correct?

SMITH
Can I say something?

CORREEN
Of course.

SMITH
I didn’t see how Jim is Jack. I don’t get that.

CORREEN
Jack prefers not to share with us the common elements—

RITA
Conveniently.

JACK
One, he has taxidermy in his home. Two, he lost his virginity to a dental hygienist. Need I continue?

(Beat.)

CORREEN
Please.

JACK
Three… he prefers to be called another name during intercourse.

ANTOINE
Who doesn’t?

JACK
(to Antoine)
Not… this name. Which you knew.

CORREEN
(flipping through her copy of the screenplay)
Luigi?

SMITH
Luciano.

CORREEN
So Jack likes to be called Luciano! I like to be called something, myself. Who’s judging?

(Beat.)

JACK
That screenplay is about me. And I deserve an apology.

MURPHY
And Murphy is me.

CORREEN
That’s right, you’re Murphy.

MURPHY
And I’m Murphy in the play.

RITA
There is no Murphy in the play.

MURPHY
Oh, then I’m… the guy in the play who’s overweight.

SMITH
Marvin.

MURPHY
I’m Marvin. And I deserve an apology as well because that was an unfair representation of me.

CORREEN
What didn’t you like about the character of Marvin, Murphy?

JACK
Maybe ‘cause he’s an idiot?

MURPHY
No. Because he’s overweight. That’s just not right.

(Beat.)

RITA
Sorry, Murphy.

ANTOINE
Sorry.

CORREEN
Look! We’re making progress.

JACK
He gets an apology but I don’t?

RITA
If we apologize, are we done?

CORREEN
We aren’t done until everyone feels satisfied.

RITA
Jesus.

ANTOINE
Jack, I apologize. Smith, I apologize. Murphy, I apologize. Rita, I apologize for dragging you into this and for leaving our script in the printer. Correen, I apologize for making you come out here today.

CORREEN
Why thank you, Antoine. That was big of you.

JACK
He’d already said sorry, anyway. I’m waiting on her.

RITA
Jim. Was. Not. You.

JACK
Unbelievable.

SMITH
(to Correen)
I think what you’re hearing is a lot of pent up bitterness because this is not an easy place to work.

CORREEN
Tell me more, Smith. How is it hard?

SMITH
Where do I start?

CORREEN
How about being more specific.

SMITH
It is a god-awful, horrible, wretched, soul-numbing place to work.

MURPHY
Amen!

RITA
Damn straight.

ANTOINE
Second that.

JACK
The bitter truth.

CORREEN
Oh, come on… You’re sitting in a room reserved just for you to meet with an ombudsman to address your concerns, aren’t you? Is that something a cold and uncaring employer would do?

(Beat. They shrug.)

Who’s still unhappy?

(Now, all hands go up, including Rita’s.)

Al…right. Team. We’re going to sit in here until every one of those hands is in your lap. Or on the table. Or somewhere. Okay? Give me an okay!

(The door opens. The receptionist enters.)

RECEPTIONIST/LAUREN
We need this room for a meeting.

(Everyone’s hands go down.)

CORREEN
Hi Lauren!

RECEPTIONIST
Lorraine.

CORREEN
Hi Lorraine! We’re not quite done resolving this dispute so we’re going to need, ohhh, thirty minutes or so.

RECEPTIONIST
(leaning out to consult with someone and reappearing)
We need it now.

CORREEN
But we’re not—

SMITH
(standing)
Of course they do.

JACK
(following)
Real caring.

RITA
Naturally.

ANTOINE
(standing)
Anyone want a drink?

MURPHY
Yeah, and I’m starving.

CORREEN
I think they’ll give us more time if they understand…

RECEPTIONIST
Nope. Gotta have it.

(Beat.)

CORREEN
(to Receptionist)
I liked you more in the screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment