Monday, September 12, 2011

Vanity Plate


Sandboxworld.com


DMV EMPLOYEE.
MAN.


The DMV. The Present.

DMV EMPLOYEE
Custom plates are an additional $25 depending on availability. You are not guaranteed your first choice and must submit up to three choices.

MAN
I have to submit three? Or no more than three?

DMV EMPLOYEE
Up to three.

MAN
So I can submit one?

DMV EMPLOYEE
No. Three. You will fill out form MV-96 at the requisite time. Do you have any questions?

MAN
Is the requisite time now?

DMV EMPLOYEE
No.

MAN
Okay, when—

DMV EMPLOYEE
Now is when you tell me your choices and I see if they’re available and then you’ll fill out the form. Normally we don’t do it like this but there’s no line this morning so I’m going to help you out.

MAN
Thank you.

DMV EMPLOYEE
You may choose up to eight characters for your personalized plate. What is your first choice, which may I remind you, you are not guaranteed to receive?

MAN
Forgive me.

DMV EMPLOYEE
(after waiting several seconds)
What?

MAN
That’s what I would like on my plate. Forgive me.

DMV EMPLOYEE
Sir, the limit is eight characters. Please pay attention.

MAN
What if the “for” is the number four. The number four, give, space, me. That’s eight.

DMV EMPLOYEE
(typing into the computer)
Taken. So is 4giveMe with no space. You can still get 4giveYou, 4giveUs, or 4giveme with a three as the “e.” So it’s backwards but it still looks like 4giveme.

(She writes it on a piece of paper for him. He reads it.)

MAN
That just looks like Forgive “em three” to me.

DMV EMPLOYEE
Raymond! We’ll see what Raymond thinks.

MAN
How about just 4giveDP?

DMV EMPLOYEE
Who’s DP? Oh, your initials? (She types into the computer.) Available. Sure?

MAN
That’s fine.

DMV EMPLOYEE
We will need check or cash for $25, and here is form MV-96…

No comments:

Post a Comment