Monday, August 29, 2011

Rufus & Penelope


RUFUS
PENELOPE

RUFUS
So I got this boulder in me, it’s squishing all my organs, man. I can’t get rid of it. It’s like pressing against my heart and my urethra and shit. I got to pee all the time, but I can’t. It’s the boulder.

PENELOPE
How’d it get—

RUFUS
I swallowed it in 2006.

PENELOPE
Can you pass it?

RUFUS
Like a kidney stone? Nah.

PENELOPE
Sounds awful.

RUFUS
You like beef jerky?

(She nods. He passes her a piece.)

PENELOPE
Teriyaki?

(He nods.)

PENELOPE
Good stuff.

(He nods.)

PENELOPE
Guess we’re both waiting.

RUFUS
Me? Nah, I’m not waiting. I’m not waiting. I’m working. I’m focusing. I gotta focus. I gotta shrink it. I’m trying to shrink it, trying real hard, every day.

PENELOPE
Oh.

RUFUS
Yeah, it’s serious stress. Serious work.

PENELOPE
Maybe I should try that.

RUFUS
Yeah, I’m just relaxing right now on a break, but when I’m focusing, I can’t have any distractions. Can’t be around people. Won’t work.

(Beat.)

RUFUS
So I gotta head in soon.

(Penelope nods.)

RUFUS
What’s your name?

PENELOPE
Penelope.

RUFUS
Weird. What’s your last name?

PENELOPE
Blender.

RUFUS
Weird too. Bet you’re the only one.

PENELOPE
Yeah, I bet I was. But my roommate stole my identity. So now there are at least two.

RUFUS
Yeah?

PENELOPE
Yeah.

RUFUS
Lame.

PENELOPE
Yeah.

RUFUS
You real mad?

PENELOPE
Yeah.

(Beat.)

RUFUS
Watchyou doing about it?

PENELOPE
Waiting.

RUFUS
For what?

(Penelope shrugs.)

RUFUS
Maybe I should try that.

PENELOPE
I was thinking maybe I should do what you do.

RUFUS
Concentrate? Nah. That’s a different kind of problem.

PENELOPE
Maybe.

(Beat.)

You want some apple?

(Rufus nods. She passes it to him. He takes a bite and passes it back.)

RUFUS
Mind if I stay out here a bit?

PENELOPE
Don’t you have to work on your boulder?

RUFUS
The moon is nice, I guess. I can wait a little.

(They pass the apple in the moonlight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment